Friday, January 29, 2010

Perspective


I had a surprise this semester. I was offered a position as a TA (teacher's assistant) for an undergraduate course on perspective. I laughed, thinking "I wonder who told the powers that be, that I could use a review in perspective"?
Well, my first class was on Thursday. It went well. It is a large class, in a small room, so much of the time I was just trying to figure out where to stand so I was not in the way. Basically the teacher (Scott Settle) demonstrates on the board and I wander through the tables checking to see that the students are putting their lines in the right places. It was tiring as I did not have a chance to sit down and they really don't take a break - for 3 and a half hours. I will get there early next week and try to fit a chair at the back of the room.
After perspective I hauled my stuff up to the MFA building where I met with Joe for our mentor meeting. I really liked Joe. He is very direct and easy to follow. He has a much grander picture for me that I admit I had. I realise that he is right in saying that in trying to figure out how to communicate content I left my style and personality behind. I now have to bring the two together - my work is starting too look too much like a product of LCAD. I spent today journaling, sketching, searching the web looking at other artist's work, images and finally after many hours of this I came up with a seed of an idea that I really like. Let's see if I feel the same way tomorrow!
I am learning so much about process!

No comments: